‘Tis the season of tomatoes! I’ve been making and storing my own tomato sauce for awhile now. Sure, like anything else, it takes time. However, it gives me peace of mind to know that I use fresh ingredients with no preservatives or no food coloring. Best part, it’s the taste! Because there’s an abundance of supply of tomatoes in the market these days, you really don’t need much. It’s pretty simple to make.
1) buy some fresh organic tomatoes
2) boil a pot of water, and put a slit at the bottom of each tomato
3) boil the tomatoes for 2-3 minutes
4) remove them form pot and let them cool (i’m too anxious and often burn myself).The skin should fall off pretty easily
5) garlic, olive oil, chop and sprinkle some fresh herbs (this time, I used fresh rosemary and thyme), add salt and pepper to the mushy tomatoes. Since my boys are not big fans of eating tomatoes in chunks, i blend it to make a smooth sauce.
6) of course, the easy part is put it in the container and store them in the fridge for future use. This is a great multi-purpose tomato sauce because it use it for pasta, salad, and even on stir fry!