These are marbled tea eggs (茶葉蛋) are one of the more popular dishes on the table during Chinese New Year, but can be consumed all year long! The eggs symbolize prosperity and wealth. Sometimes when I crave for it, I would buy them as snacks. This year, I found simple recipes online and made a few as one of our dishes for meatless Monday meal.
Here’s the CNY version of meatless Monday meal.
Recipe for tea eggs:
- boil 6 eggs
- in a pot fill up:
- 2-3 cups of water
- 2 star anise
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 2 bags of black tea, any kind you like. Pu-erh is traditionally used.
- Soy Sauce, about ½ cup
- 1 teaspoon of pepper corns
- 1 small rock sugar
- dried orange or mandarin peel (optional)
- gently crack the hard boiled eggs
- put cracked eggs in the pot and bring everything to a boil. Close lid, simmer for 40-50 minutes.