Ginger milk pudding (姜汁撞奶), a Chinese (Cantonese) hot dessert, is believed to be very beneficial to the body: such as
- improving the body complexion because of the milk protein,
- helping in blood circulation because of the ginger effect,
- Reducing coughing and avoid flu,
- Inhibiting fats absorption and
- Calming effect and hence reducing insomnia problems.
I prepared three times and the first two attempts weren’t successful. Well, do not worry, even if it failed, you can just drink your milk instead of eating the curd using spoon. Taste is exactly the same. I finally figured out it was the milk I used. It needs to be whole milk (was using 2% or 1% milk fat and that didn’t work).
Basically, this dessert is so simple only requires 3 ingredients: milk, sugar and ginger. Though simple, there are some tricks to making it the way it should be:
- be sure to use the ‘old’ ginger (grated to get the juice only)
- use whole milk
- warm up the milk to 176F (or 80C) before pouring it into the bowl with ginger juice